Thanks for visiting! My name is Jonah. I'm a professional sound track composer for games and film. On this web site you'll find my commercial portfolio that is available for royalty-free use in commercial projects, as well as my free use music library available for use in any non-commercial project. I am also available for hired work! Check out the FAQ for more information.

News and Updates

Here is some cool stuff to check out:
2012 Demo Reel
2011 Demo Reel
2010 Demo Reel
Click here for a full listing of all audio on this site.
Click here for the random song player
Sort tracks by mood and genre

Search for content on this site

Select a project or category

More Information

Information about my music, licensing, and this website!

Where can I contact you?
What do you use to write your music?
Can I use your tracks in my projects?
Licensing Terminology
How can I purchase a license?
Whats the difference between a JB-Audio license and an AudioJungle license?
What is a JB-Audio license and what does it cover?
What kind of usage does an AudioJungle license cover?
What if I loose my license?
Can I hire you to compose music for my project?
Have you done any original sound tracks for commercial packages?
Who designed your website?

Where can I contact you?

The best way is via e-mail. You can also leave me some comments on this site as well as in places where I share my music like YouTube, Newgrounds, Audiojungle, Soundcloud, ect. I try to keep up on any feedback I receive from those places, however it's easy to overlook a comment sometimes.

What do you use to write your music?

My electric guitar is a Fender Squire Strat. I record with a Pod X3 plugged into my computer via usb. My acoustic is an Esteban brand guitar. I have a Sterling ST31 condenser mic that I plug into a Presonus TubePre preamp for mic-ing my acoustic. I also use a Fender bass guitar. My keyboard is a Prokeys 88.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Windows Vista that I run Sony Acid Pro and Reason on. That was the primary setup for my older recordings. Most of my new stuff is done on my 2012 Macbook Pro running Logic and Reason. I use Audacity for a lot of general wave editing stuff. I use a lot of different plugins, but some of the more common ones are Guitar Rig, Izotope Ozone and Vinyl, and dBlue Glitch.

Can I use your tracks in my projects?

Some of my tracks you can, others you need to purchase a license to use. When you select a category or project on this site, look just underneath the category title for the licensing description. Here is a screenshot that highlights the licensing description. This tells you how these tracks can and cannot be used.
  • Free for Non-Commercial Use means the tracks are free to be used in any project that will not be sold (non-commercial)
  • Free for Commercial Use means the tracks are free to be used in any project, even if the project will be sold (commercial)
  • License Required for Non-Commercial Use means that you must purchase a license to use any of these tracks in your project, even if the project will be released freely (non-commercial)
  • License Required for Commercial Use means that a license is required to use the track in a project that will be sold (commercial)
The majority of the tracks on this site are released as free for non-commercial usage, but a license is required for commercial usage.

Licensing Terminology

Licensing is not nearly as complicated as it may first appear. It helps to understand some basic terminology first. You should understand these terms before purchasing any kind of IP rights license so you know exactly what you're getting.

  • Master Recording - This is the actual recording of a song. It can be an MP3, a CD, or even sheet music. It is the physical form that makes up a unique performance or interpretation of the song. Note that any given song can have multiple master recordings.
  • Composition - This is the song itself, or "underlying work." The combination of the chord progression, melody, lyrics, ect. It is important to realize the difference between the master recording and the composition as US law distinguishes between the two and rights can be granted for one or the other. In many cases the master recording and composition can even have separate owners.
  • Ownership - This is the person that owns the master recording and/or composition. The person with ownership is the person that can grant usage rights for the work.
  • Rights - A right in terms of music law is the right to use the work in a specified way. Usage rights are usually granted in the form of a license. There are many different kinds of usage rights that can be granted by the owner. Note that by purchasing a bundle of usage rights in the form of a license, you are not purchasing ownership of the master recording or composition. You are purchasing the right to use the master and/or composition in the specified way.
  • Master Use Rights This is the right to edit and/or use a master recording in a media project.
  • Synchronization Rights - Sometimes called a sync license, its the right to use a composition in a media project. Understand the difference between a sync license and a master use license. In order to use a recording off this site in a game you need both a sync license and a master use license because you are using both the composition and master recording. For comparison, if you were interested in recording your own version of one of my songs for use in your project then you would only need a sync license to use it because you would not be using my master recording.
  • Mechanical Rights - This grants certain limited permissions to work with, study, improve upon, reinterpret, re-record (etc.) a composition onto a "phonorecord" (CD, Tape, records, ect) for private use without accompanying visuals. A mechanical license would be needed if you wanted to cover / remix / re-record a composition and include it in a non-visual medium such as a cd compilation.
  • Public Performance Rights - A public performance is a performance that occurs "in a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered." This includes a master recording that is being transmitted by some device or process (tv or radio broadcast, telephone wire, ect.) A Public performace right is the right to stage such a performance.
  • Exclusive rights vs Non-Exclusive rights - When the owner of a work grants you exclusive rights to a master recording and/or composition, they are making a legal agreement not to grant that particular right to anybody else. If a company purchases the exclusive right to use a song in their game then the owner of the master recording or composition no longer has the power to legally grant those usage rights to another person or company for the duration of the contract. Non-exclusive means that the owner retains the ability to grant the usage rights to multiple people or companies with no legal agreement of exclusivity. My standard and non-commercial JB-Audio licenses are non-exclusive. I will only grant exclusive usage rights through negotiation.
  • Commercial vs Non-Commercial - A project is commercial in nature when it directly or indirectly generates income. Commercial projects might include a video game that will be sold online to consumers, a film that charges it's viewers an admission fee, a freely available film advertisement that has the primary goal of selling a commercial product, or background music in a place of business. A project that is non-commercial in nature is a project that is available freely to the general public and was not created for the purpose of generating income.
  • Royalties and PROs - A royalty is a continued payment made to the owner of the master recording and/or composition based on sales or downloads. The basic/standard and commercial JB-Audio licenses as well as the Audio Jungle licenses on this site are offered as royalty-free unless otherwise specified, meaning you only pay once up front for your usage rights. The exception would be if the track is to be used on television, in which case the broadcaster of the content may be required to pay a royalty fee to a performing rights organization (PRO) such as ASCAP or BMI. Youtube and numerous other companies may also pay blanket royalty fees to PROs which may ultimately come back to me if the material gets a substantial amount of attention, but these fees do not come out of your pocket unless a royalty agreement is made. You can read more about PROs and royalties here.
Other resources: Music Licensing on Wikipedia, Music Licensing 101: Music Publishing & Licensing Terminology, Understanding Music Law as a Game Developer my Mona Ibrahim, ASCAP: Licensing, Royalties and the Game Audio Industry by Shawn LeMONE, How Music Licensing Works by Marshall Brain, How to Make Money from Music Licensing by Zircon

How can I purchase a license?

To purchase a JB-Audio license for a particular track, look for the purchase icon () next to the track's title. If there is no purchase icon next to the track title then there is no license available for that track. If the track is an AudioJungle release then a license must be purchased through AudioJungle by clicking the "Buy" link located at the top of the AudioJungle track player.

You must have a Paypal account to purchase a JB-Audio license. Signing up for a Paypal account is free and it's easy. Just visit and register.

Whats the difference between a JB-Audio license and an AudioJungle license?

A JB-Audio license is sold by me through Paypal. You select the track you want to purchase on this site, you are redirected to Paypal to make your payment, then you are returned to this site where a custom license will be generated for you. Custom licensing contracts and deals can be also be negotiated by emailing me.

An AudioJungle license is not sold be me. Instead, it is sold by a company called Envato and it's subsidiary company called AudioJungle. When you click the buy link to purchase an AudioJungle track on this site, you will be redirected to AudioJungle where you will make your payment and receive your license through them.

What is a JB-Audio license and what does it cover?

The JB-Audio license is a simple way to buy usage rights to one of my songs. It's geared towards the indy media developers and small companies that need licensed music quickly and cheaply. In short, the license gives you the right to synchronize my music with your media project then distribute the project across numerous platforms anywhere in the world. There are no contracts to sign, no negotiations to be made. It's a simple click through process that takes minutes.

There are two kinds of JB-Audio licenses. A commercial use license and a basic/standard license. Both are royalty free and grant you non-exclusive master use and synchronization rights for the master recording(s) and composition(s). The basic/standard license allows you to use the track in a single non-commercial project. This could include a Youtube video, a free web game, ect. If the project in which the audio file will appear is fully non-commercial in nature (ie will not be sold for direct profit and is not intended to advertise a product that is sold for direct profit) then a basic/standard license will cover this.

A commercial use license allows you to use the track in a single project that is commercial in nature (ie will be sold for direct profit, or advertises a product that is sold for direct profit). Examples that require a commercial use license include a commercially released video game, a film advertisement for a commercial product, background music in a place of business, ect.

Please note that these licenses only cover usage in one project. The project may be duplicated and distributed, but your license only covers usage in that one project. Future projects require an additional license. A series (for example, multiple episodes of a the same Youtube show) may be regarded as one project.

If a master recording exists in multiple formats on this site (ie, MP3 and WAV) then your license will cover usage of both files. Some licenses may cover "track packs" or zip files containing multiple tracks. These may be packages with multiple versions of the same track, different loops cut from the same track, or different tracks with a common theme. If the track listing on this site is a package then the track title will reflect that (ie, The Digital Sound Effects Pack). You can click the item description () for more information about the contents of a track pack.

The basic/standard and commercial JB-Audio licenses are designed to cover the most typical kinds of licensing scenarios. If you need a license for usage that is not covered by the basic/standard and commercial licenses, you may contact me and we can negotiate the details. If you have any further questions about licensing or you are unsure of the kind of license your unique project needs, don't hesitate to email me. I will be happy to assist you.

Here are samples of the JB-Audio Licenses: Basic/Standard Sample, Commercial Use Sample

What kind of usage does an AudioJungle license cover?

Audio Jungle offers two kinds of licenses. A regular license and an extended license. The regular license covers one royalty free usage in any kind of media package that isn't being sold directly. You can purchase a regular license for, as an example, a free video game or YouTube video. You can also use a regular license for advertisement purposes. For example, a freely released video that advertises a product that your are selling. In general, so long as the track is not being included in any kind of package that is being sold, then a regular license should cover it.

The extended license covers commercial usage. The cost of an extended license is five times the price of the regular license. It allows you to include the track into a package that will be duplicated and sold directly to consumers. Please note that by purchasing a license you are only buying the right to use the track in one application. You are not buying the rights to the track itself. This is just a brief overview of Audio Jungle's licensing system. If you are considering a license, you may want to read Audio Jungle's licensing FAQ for a more detailed explanation.

What if I loose my license?

For a JB-Audio license you can go to the retrieve license page for instructions on how to get your license back. For an AudioJungle license you can visit AudioJungle and log on to your account. Your license will be available from your user control panel.

Can I hire you to compose music for my project?

Yes you can! I'm still trying to claim some ground in the professional composer world so I will charge at the low end of standard market prices. Email me and we can discuss it further.

Have you done any original sound tracks for commercial packages?

Not yet I haven't, though I have sold some extended commercial-use licenses for some of my stock library works. I'm hoping to start building up a portfolio of commissioned sound track work in the future.

Who designed your website?

Me! Well, most of it. I have a good bit of programming experience. I used to program video games for fun as a teenager. That's why I gravitate more towards game sound tracks. I have more experience in that area. Some ready made scripts I used include jCarousel, Yahoo Webplayer, and the Audio Jungle Audio Player. The graphics are a combination of my own work as well as icons that I found around the web. I tried to make sure these icons were available for free use before using them, however if you created one of these graphics and you do not want me to use it please contact me so I can remove it.

Comment log - Retrieve a lost license - Random Song Player

web counter

Creative Commons - Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
All non-commercial music on this web site is shared under the Creative Commons
license. You may use these free-use tracks in your project. Just make sure you check
check out the FAQ page first for guidelines. My commercial audio may only
be used upon the purchase of the appropriate license.